Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rise Up

Don't give up; rise up!



As a follow-up to yesterday's post, I looked up the phrase "rise up" in Scripture, and I was surprised to find how often it appears in Scripture.  The phrase "rise up" appears 67 times, "rose up" appears another 104 times, and there are many more inexact phrase matches such as "rise ye up," "rise," or "arise" that use the same Hebrew or Greek word translated "rise up." 


There are two main Hebrew words translated "rise up." One is quwm (Strong's #6965), which is translated "to stand up," "to rise up," "to arise," "to raise," "to establish," "to stand," "to perform," "to confirm," "again," "set," "stablish," "surely," "continue," "sure," "abide," and "accomplish." It appears 629 times and is usually translated by one of the first four translations in this list (498 times combined). 


The other word is shakam (Strong's #7925), which means "to rise up early" and appears 67 times. 


So do you think this concept is important to God? I can't list all the Scriptures here, but I was blessed by what I discovered. (I know it gets long to read through all the verses. I debated cutting some of them out or just listing them by their references, but I figured if I included the verse, then you could choose whether or not to read it--and it would be easier to read the verse if it was right here than to have to look it up somewhere else.)


In many cases, the command to "rise up" involves conquering an obstacle in order to accomplish a task.
Then I told them of the hand of my God which was good upon me; as also the king's words that he had spoken unto me. And they said, Let us rise up and build. So they strengthened their hands for this good work. Neh. 2:18
Then ye shall rise up from the ambush, and seize upon the city: for the LORD your God will deliver it into your handJosh. 8:7
And it came to pass, when the ark set forward, that Moses saidRise up, LORD, and let thine enemies be scattered; and let them that hate thee flee before thee. Num. 10:35
Now rise up, said I, and get you over the brook Zered. And we went over the brook ZeredDeut 2:13
Rise ye up, take your journey, and pass over the river Arnon: behold, I have given into thine hand Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon, and his land: begin to possess it, and contend with him in battle. Deut. 2:24
Then rose up Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and began to build the house of God which is at Jerusalem: and with them were the prophets of God helping them. Ezr. 5:2 
And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses. Neh. 4:14 
Rise up, let us go; lo, he that betrayeth me is at hand. Mark 14:42
Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to sayRise up and walk? Luke 5:23
But he knew their thoughts, and said to the man which had the withered handRise up, and stand forth in the midst. And he arose and stood forth. Luke 6:8
Then Peter said, Silver and gold have none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. Acts 3:6




There are also a number of verses that say, "Rise up early." This is what God has been trying to get me to do for 6 years now, and I never knew how often it was listed in Scripture.
And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night. Gen. 19:2 
Therefore Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears: and the men were sore afraid. Gen 20:8
And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba. Gen. 21:14 
And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him. Gen. 22:3
And they rose up betimes in the morning, and sware one to another: and Isaac sent them away, and they departed from him in peace. Gen. 26:31 
And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. Gen. 28:18
And early in the morning Laban rose up, and kissed his sons and his daughters, and blessed them: and Laban departed, and returned unto his place. Gen. 31:55 
And the LORD said unto MosesRise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh; lo, he cometh forth to the water; and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me. Exod. 8:20 
And the LORD said unto MosesRise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me. Exod. 9:13 
And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel. Ex. 24:4
And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone. Ex. 34:4 
And Joshua rose early in the morning; and they removed from Shittim, and came to Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over. Josh. 3:1 
And Joshua rose early in the morning, and the priests took up the ark of the LORD. Josh. 6:12  
And it came to pass on the seventh day, that they rose early about the dawning of the day, and compassed the city after the same manner seven times: only on that day they compassed the city seven times. Josh. 6:15
So Joshua rose up early in the morning, and brought Israel by their tribes; and the tribe of Judah was taken: Josh. 7:16
And Joshua rose up early in the morning, and numbered the people, and went up, he and the elders of Israel, before the people to Ai. Josh. 8:10 
And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water. Judges 6:38 
Then Jerubbaal, who is Gideon, and all the people that were with him, rose up early, and pitched beside the well of Harod: so that the host of the Midianites were on the north side of them, by the hill of Moreh, in the valley. Judges 7:1 
And it shall be, that in the morning, as soon as the sun is up, thou shalt rise early, and set upon the city: and, behold, when he and the people that is with him come out against thee, then mayest thou do to them as thou shalt find occasion. Judges 9:33 
And it came to pass on the fourth day, when they arose early in the morning, that he rose up to depart: and the damsel's father said unto his son in law, Comfort thine heart with a morsel of bread, and afterward go your way. Judges 19:5, 8, 9
And it came to pass on the morrow, that the people rose early, and built there an altar, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. Judges 21:4 
Anthey rose up in the morning early, and worshipped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her. 1 Sam. 1:19 
And when they of Ashdod arose early on the morrow, behold, Dagon was fallen upon his face to the earth before the ark of the LORD. And they took Dagon, and set him in his place again. 1 Sam. 5:3, 4
And they arose early: and it came to pass about the spring of the day, that Samuel called Saul to the top of the house, saying, Up, that I may send thee away. And Saul arose, and they went out both of them, he and Samuel, abroad. 1 Sam. 9:26
And when Samuel rose early to meet Saul in the morning, it was told Samuel, saying, Saul came to Carmel, and, behold, he set him up a place, and is gone about, and passed on, and gone down to Gilgal. 1 Sam. 15:12 
And the Philistine drew near morning and evening, and presented himself forty days. 1 Sam. 17:16
And David rose up early in the morning, and left the sheep with a keeper, and took, and went, as Jesse had commanded him; and he came to the trench, as the host was going forth to the fight, and shouted for the battle. 1 Sam. 17:20 
So David and his men rose up early to depart in the morning, to return into the land of the Philistines. And the Philistines went up to Jezreel. 1 Sam. 29:10, 11
And Absalom rose up early, and stood beside the way of the gate: and it was so, that when any man that had a controversy came to the king for judgment, then Absalom called unto him, and said, Of what city art thou? And he said, Thy servant is of one of the tribes of Israel. 2 Sam. 15:2
Wherefore now rise up early in the morning with thy master's servants that are come with thee: and as soon as ye be up early in the morning, and have light, depart. 1 Sam. 29:10
And they rose up early in the morning, and the sun shone upon the water, and the Moabites saw the water on the other side as red as blood: 2 Ki. 3:22  
And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? 2 Ki. 6:15
And it came to pass that night, that the angel of the LORD went out, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians an hundred fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses. 2 Ki. 19:35
And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper. 2 Chr. 20:20  
Then Hezekiah the king rose early, and gathered the rulers of the city, and went up to the house of the LORD. 2 Chr. 29:20 
And the LORD God of their fathers sent to them by his messengersrising up betimes, and sending; because he had compassion on his people, and on his dwelling place: 2 Chr. 36:15
And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually. Job 1:5
Let us get up early to the vineyards; let us see if the vine flourish, whether the tender grape appear, and the pomegranates bud forth: there will I give thee my loves. Song 7:12 




On the other hand, there are five negative instances of rising up early. (How quick we are to rise up early if it's to do our own will! And yet, when it comes to doing God's will, how often and how glibly we quote Psalm 127:2 without thinking of the weight of evidence in Scripture for early rising.) 


Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! Isaiah 5:11
He that blesseth his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted a curse to him. Pro. 27:14 
And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play. Ex. 32:6 
And they rose up early in the morning, and gat them up into the top of the mountain, saying, Lo, we be here, and will go up unto the place which the LORD hath promised: for we have sinned. Num. 14:40 
It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep. Psalm 127:2


You rise up because you love the Lord.


My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. Song 2:10
rose up to open to my beloved; and my hands dropped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock. Song 5:5 


Don't think you are the only one who has to rise up--your enemies are constantly rising up against you--which is all the more reason for you to rise up yourself and prevent their schemes.


LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. Psalm 3:1
The LORD shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways. Deut. 28:7
So Ahaz sent messengers to Tiglathpileser king of Assyria, saying, I am thy servant and thy son: come up, and save me out of the hand of the king of Syria, and out of the hand of the king of Israel, which rise up against me. 2 Ki. 16:7
But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities: Deut 19:11
If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong; Deut 19:16
False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not. Psalm 35:11
Forget not the voice of thine enemies: the tumult of those that rise up against thee increaseth continually. Psalm 74:23


When enemies rise up, the Lord is able to scatter and conquer them.


And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown them that rose up against thee: thou sentest forth thy wrath, which consumed them as stubble. Ex. 15:7 
For thou hast girded me with strength to battle: them that rose up against me hast thou subdued under me. 2 Sam. 22:40 
And that bringeth me forth from mine enemies: thou also hast lifted me up on high above them that rose up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man. 2 Sam. 22:49 
Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them. Psalm 17:7
He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man. Psalm 18:48
Through thee will we push down our enemies: through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us. Psalm 44:5
Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me. Psalm 59:1
Mine eye also shall see my desire on mine enemies, and mine ears shall hear my desire of the wicked that rise up against me. Psalm 92:11
For I will rise up against them, saith the LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith the LORD. Isa. 14:22
For the LORD shall rise up as in mount Perazim, he shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act. Isa. 28:21
Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will raise up against Babylon, and against them that dwell in the midst of them that rise up against me, a destroying wind; Jer. 51:1


We ought to oppose those who rise up against the Lord. 


Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? Psalm 139:21
Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity? Psalm 94:16


Beware if someone is unwilling to rise up: Maybe it's because they have something to hide. 


And she said to her father, Let it not displease my lord that I cannot rise up before thee; for the custom of women is upon me. And he searched, but found not the images. Gen. 31:35

Or maybe it's simply because they're idle. 

Rise up, ye women that are at ease; hear my voice, ye careless daughters; give ear unto my speech. Isa. 32:9

Rising up is a sign of honor. 


Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD. Lev. 19:32

Just like you can rise up to do good, you can also rise up to do evil. 


And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them. Deut. 31:16

Good advice if a ruler rises up against you: 

If the spirit of the ruler rise up against thee, leave not thy place; for yielding pacifieth great offences. Ecc. 10:4

God might punish you by making you not to be able to rise up, or by allowing someone weak to be able to rise up against you.

They that swear by the sin of Samaria, and say, Thy god, O Dan, liveth; and, The manner of Beersheba liveth; even they shall fall, and never rise up again. Amos 8:4 
The yoke of my transgressions is bound by his hand: they are wreathed, and come up upon my neck: he hath made my strength to fall, the Lord hath delivered me into their hands, from whom I am not able to rise up. Lam. 1:14
For though ye had smitten the whole army of the Chaldeans that fight against you, and there remained but wounded men among them, yet should they rise up every man in his tent, and burn this city with fire. Jer. 37:10
Let burning coals fall upon them: let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits, that they rise not up again. Psalm 140:10
The virgin of Israel is fallen; she shall no more rise: she is forsaken upon her land; there is none to raise her up. Amos 5:2

The Lord says, 

Now will I rise, saith the LORD; now will I be exalted; now will I lift up myself. Isa. 33:10

Let us also rise up, in the power of the God whose Spirit dwells within us. Let us move closer to His likeness. Let us labor, "striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily." (Col. 1:29)


3 comments:

  1. Mira,me gustó much tu punto de vista. Pues,ya lo tenía pensado de retomarlo levantarse por la mañana,pq lo tengo un poco olvidado...Gracias

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love comments! You have just made my day! :-)